White House shooting: who was Nasire the best? Maryland man who thought he was ‘Jesus Christ’ killed after shooting near Donald Trump’s home

A shooting near the White House security perimeter Saturday evening killed the suspected shooter, injured a bystander and sparked panic among tourists and journalists gathered near the complex. Authorities said the shooting occurred shortly after 6 p.m. local time near a checkpoint close to the White House grounds. According to the U.S. Secret Service, the suspect pulled a gun out of a bag and opened fire on officers guarding the area. The police immediately returned fire, seriously injuring the suspect. He later died in a hospital. Authorities also confirmed that a bystander was injured during the exchange of gunfire. US President Donald Trump was at the White House at the time, but was not injured.

Who was the suspect in Nasire Best’s White House shooting?Nasire Best, the 21-year-old Maryland man identified by US media as the suspect in the shooting near the White House security perimeter, was reportedly known to federal security agencies before the incident. Best was reportedly “mentally disturbed” and repeatedly seen loitering around security entry points near the White House complex. The New York Post reported that he had previously violated a court order to stay away from the area. Reports also indicate that on June 26, 2025, Best allegedly blocked vehicle traffic on 15th Street and was subsequently involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility for treatment. Less than two weeks later, on July 10, 2025, he was arrested again after allegedly bypassing a White House pedestrian checkpoint by entering through an exit turnstile. Investigators have not yet publicly established a motive for the latest shooting.

Some reports also claimed that Best believed he was “Jesus Christ” and that he had violated a court order ordering him to stay away from the White House grounds.

White House shooting suspect allegedly had prior contact with Secret Service
Several US media outlets reported that Best had a history of mental health issues and had previously attracted the attention of federal security agencies.

According to Fox News, Best was arrested by Secret Service agents on June 26, 2025, after allegedly approaching agents and making threats. The report also states that he was arrested again on July 10, 2025, for entering a restricted area near the White House complex.

The New York Post, citing sources, reported that Best was mentally ill and reportedly thought he was “Jesus Christ.”

The publication further claimed he violated a court order ordering him to stay away from the White House area.

BNO News also cited reports that Best attempted to enter the White House complex last year.

Authorities have not officially confirmed a motive for the shooting and the investigation continues.

How the shooting happened near the White HouseAccording to the Associated Press, the gunfire erupted near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, about a block from the White House.

Reporters stationed around the White House said they heard several gunshots before security personnel ordered them to immediately take shelter in the press briefing room.

The Secret Service later said the suspect approached a checkpoint, pulled a gun from a bag and began shooting at officers positioned within the security perimeter. Officers responded with gunfire.

The Associated Press reported that investigators were still trying to determine whether the injured bystander was struck by bullets fired by the suspect or during the officers’ response.

Photographs of the area showed a large police presence, crime scene tapes, evidence markers and emergency medical equipment scattered outside the White House perimeter.

Tourists and journalists describe panic after White House shootingsThe AFP news agency reported that confusion and fear quickly spread across the region when gunshots rang out near the White House.

Canadian tourist Reid Adrian told AFP he heard “probably 20 to 25” noises that initially sounded like fireworks before realizing they were gunshots.

ABC News correspondent Selina Wang reportedly recorded a social media video on the White House grounds when the shooting began.

The AFP also said journalists working on the North Lawn of the White House were ordered to run for cover and into the briefing room during the firefight.

Shooting puts focus back on Trump’s security concernsThe latest incident has once again raised concerns about security threats involving Trump.

The US president has faced several assassination threats and security scares in recent months, including an alleged attempt linked to the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in April and the 2024 shooting at a gathering in Butler, Pennsylvania, where he was shot in the ear.

Exit mobile version