T20 World Cup: England's Dawid Malan cried after learning he would miss the final

The 35-year-old southpaw suffered a torn left groin during England's Super 12 game against England. Sri Lanka.

He missed the semi-final but passed all fitness tests the day before the highlight match.

However, the decision was made not to risk Malan or fast bowler Mark Wood, who was recovering from a back injury.

< p class="" data-reactid=".23xmfgqhzge.0.0.0.1.$paragraph-7">"We all have difficult times in our careers", Malan said. "Not being able to play the final was probably one of the toughest days I've ever had as a cricketer. That's how sport is - sometimes it's cruel.

< p class="" data-reactid=".23xmfgqhzge .0.0.0.1.$paragraph-8">"Understandably, the decision was made not to risk Woody and me, even though we had done the necessary. I had a few tears that night, you never know how many World Cup finals you will be in.

"If you're just not in good shape and can't do what's required, it's probably easier to take a fitness test and still be in a situation where you are still at risk and you can always let it team up by stopping the next day in the second innings of the game chasing a ball.

England's Dawid Malan in the 2022 T20 World Cup game against Afghanistan

"Marque and I had a two-minute conversation. We were both gutted and then said 'it's not about us anymore, it's about what the team needs'. It's from the past. We won the World Cup, that's all that matters."

Having proven fitness , Malan returned and scored a fine century as a very different England side were beaten by six wickets in the first of three one-day internationals against Australia.

"Being fit and performing like I did is hugely satisfying after last week's disappointment - disappointment but also massive excitement and elation to win this World Cup" , he added.

"There is so much cricket to come and I have so much things to play in my career. I still want to push myself in this team and I still want to be at the next T20 World Cup too."

T20 World Cup: England's Dawid Malan cried after learning he would miss the final

The 35-year-old southpaw suffered a torn left groin during England's Super 12 game against England. Sri Lanka.

He missed the semi-final but passed all fitness tests the day before the highlight match.

However, the decision was made not to risk Malan or fast bowler Mark Wood, who was recovering from a back injury.

< p class="" data-reactid=".23xmfgqhzge.0.0.0.1.$paragraph-7">"We all have difficult times in our careers", Malan said. "Not being able to play the final was probably one of the toughest days I've ever had as a cricketer. That's how sport is - sometimes it's cruel.

< p class="" data-reactid=".23xmfgqhzge .0.0.0.1.$paragraph-8">"Understandably, the decision was made not to risk Woody and me, even though we had done the necessary. I had a few tears that night, you never know how many World Cup finals you will be in.

"If you're just not in good shape and can't do what's required, it's probably easier to take a fitness test and still be in a situation where you are still at risk and you can always let it team up by stopping the next day in the second innings of the game chasing a ball.

England's Dawid Malan in the 2022 T20 World Cup game against Afghanistan

"Marque and I had a two-minute conversation. We were both gutted and then said 'it's not about us anymore, it's about what the team needs'. It's from the past. We won the World Cup, that's all that matters."

Having proven fitness , Malan returned and scored a fine century as a very different England side were beaten by six wickets in the first of three one-day internationals against Australia.

"Being fit and performing like I did is hugely satisfying after last week's disappointment - disappointment but also massive excitement and elation to win this World Cup" , he added.

"There is so much cricket to come and I have so much things to play in my career. I still want to push myself in this team and I still want to be at the next T20 World Cup too."

What's Your Reaction?

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow